Why do you need to network when you have a good resume and have applied for jobs in the classified section and online? You need to network because you’re accessing only 20 per cent of the job market! In Calgary’s current job market, it pays to access the other 80 per cent of the market – the hidden job market that is never advertised. In fact, Calgary’s oil and gas sector is known for its close network. Networking not only helps you learn about unadvertised positions, it also enables you to get first–hand knowledge of occupations, jobs, and training programs.
Opportunities to expand your network are everywhere, and as a job-seeker you can learn to recognize these situations, take advantage of them or create your own. Develop your network by meeting and talking to people in both social and business circumstances. Great resources for networking include church and community groups, industry and alumni associations, the local Chamber of Commerce, boards of trade, and clubs such as Kiwanis, Rotary and Lions.
Volunteer work can be a rewarding way to give back to your community and help you create a varied network. Think about volunteering at a charitable organization, local fundraiser, sporting event, church event, art festival or anything which you feel passionate about.
Another good way to meet people and become known in your industry is to give your expertise away for free through newsletter articles, blogs or presentations at conferences.
The internet is rapidly becoming an innovative tool for networking. Sites such as ”LinkedIn" are useful networking tools. These websites can be great resources for finding out about job opportunities, creating and keeping in contact with associates, and sharing information.
When creating a network, try to generate a strategy that supports your career goals and objectives.
For further information and help you can access Career Connection’s library of networking books, use the website, or consult with a Career Coach.
Professional Networking Associations
Professional Networking Websites
- Your Verbal Business Card
Dress for Success